Wednesday 16 April 2008

Spirit - Soul

The talk and questions were very thoughtful and entertaining - lots of interesting background - thank you.

For me, I wondered whether the session came within 'philosophy' but rather within psychiatry.

I'm defining philosophy as starting from something someone believes in and exploring the consequences that follow logically from this.

As I find the word spirit doesn't mean anything for me, I find it difficult to follow what consequences there are.

It comes across as a religious belief and hence one that is self fulfilling if you believe it.

What was interesting/challenging for me was finding words that would replace 'spirit' which is where I would resort to words like depression (the lack of spirit) and being pro-active and recognising possible actions , expressions which I would associate with psychology.

Trying to understand this and find my way through this!

It's good to be challenged to use a different vocabulary!

Another fascinating session - thank you both.

1 comment:

les galloway said...

What is philosophy? Love of knowledge(or perhaps wisdom) is the standard definition and that certainly includes religion. Is there anything it doesn't include?
Does spirit/soul exist is a question that can only be answered through faith and that is maybe religion rather than philosophy. They are also words that are very slippery (Rum and soul food!) so tend to keep you on your toes.